Trakošćan castle is one of the most attractive in Croatia. It was erected as a small borough within the system of the forts of the Zagorje Principality; however, during the period of its construction it was not walled. The castle possesses the elements of the simple Romantic style from the 12-13th centuries. Of the numerous feudal lords of this estate, Celjski, Jan Vitovec and Korvini stand out, while following the fall of the Zagorje Principality, the Gyulayi family take over ownership and in 1568, the Drašković's come to own the estate.
It was expanded and altered several times. One significant addition was conducted in 1592, when Drašković had the artillery tower built with the roof (plaque with crest and name of Ivan II. Petar Drašković from 1592 on the western tower). At that time, a floor was added on, the central tower raised and the courtyard received arcades.
Another period of reconstruction ensues in the 18th century when the towers receive a crown, the main tower receives separate lantern and a series of defensive structures are built around the castle, walls and towers. The abandoned citadel was turned into a residential renovation castle in 1850-60 by Juraj Drašković.
The renovation, in the Romantic spirit, was conducted in the neoGothic style with a simultaneous restoration of the grounds, where the park-forest was enriched with rare plants, an artificial lake and garden area. Exceptional parts of the renovated castle: the entry tower with drawbridge and Drašković-Malatinski plaque from the 18th century, the knight’s hall with complete sets of armour from the 16th century and flags from the 18th century, collection of weapons with heavy halberds (Hackenbuchse), guns and rifles and Turkish weapons, a collection of portraits of Drašković and their relatives (Nikola Zrinski) from the 16-19th century, a cycle of paintings by painter Julijana Erdödy-Drašković from the second half of the 20th century, a cycle of the Four Seasons by M. Stroya, piano of C. Graff, preserved castle kitchen and library.
In the park is the Chapel of St. Ivan (Januš) from 1752 with late Baroque furniture. As of 1953, the castle is a museum, which in addition to the excellent reconstruction of the period ambient displays valuable examples of Baroque furniture and small pieces.
Castle Trakošćan homepage